Tuesday, September 1, 2009

ET Recommends - 23: Las Kellies



"Horses are running everywhere/While I eat my cornflakes/I prepare to go to the beach/Which one I will choose?"

This morning, a package arrived from Nottingham, from a former Plan B writer. I love shit like this. Makes life totally worthwhile, when friends you haven't even ever met send you stuff just cos they think you might like it. Especially when it's a CD from an all-girl band from Buenos Aires who dress like a convoluted version of Devo, rattle the drums like Wet Dog and have pretty, stinging voices that bounce and cleanse and sometimes harmonise as a sort of bonus afterthought.  Guitar solos are minimal. Obviously. Rhythm owes a debt to ESG. Obviously. What they decide to leave out is as important as what they decide to put in. Obviously.

There was a definition of punk I discovered via Google Alert two days ago that I'd like to bring to the table here, so we can be precise about what we're discussing... that "Raincoats--Red Krayola--Flying Lizards--Wire--James Chance--No Wave--Go Gos--Peaches--CSS--Electroclash--Riot Grrrl--Chicks on Speed--New York Noise--C86--Pastels--Everett True axis".

Yeah. Sweet. Reminds me of The Roches in a roundabout way, too.

Anyway, you can make your own mind up. Here's a link and some vids.











3 comments:

  1. this is great..thanks again everett!

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] 2 (6) The Feelies Damn shame this band didn’t influence R.E.M. more. 3 (5) Eilen Jewell 4 (-) Las Kellies Excellent minimal girl-punk from Argentina 5 (-) Elvis Costello & The Attractions Keeps getting [...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. (from Facebook)

    Sebastián Jarpa
    I'm from Buenos Aires, and yes, they're pretty cool. They're about to release a new album I think...
    September 1 at 2:49pm · Delete

    ReplyDelete