Monday, March 15, 2010

Defending The Indefensible - 16: The Who



(again, from Facebook.)

As Alistair puts it, these articles are merely sketches of an argument not the fully-realised canvas. I still think they hold interest, though: music criticism as dialogue. Any excuse to print Neil Kulkarni's words...

Everett True
I *would* hate The Who - for Daltrey alone - but damn it. They wrote some fine songs.
09 March at 13:47 · Comment · Like

White Hotel, Paul James Canessa and 2 others like this.

Jeff Copas
I was almost gonna be snarky and say "Pete, not 'they'". Then I remembered "My Wife". John had some damn good ones, too.
09 March at 13:52 ·

Tamra Spivey
go ahead and hate em
09 March at 13:59 ·

Ben Harding
No, don't. If only for the 'early' stuff. My Generation, Can't Explain, etc etc...
09 March at 14:03 ·

Frank Menesch
"Horatio, I had a dream I was in a band with Roger Daltrey, Keith Moon and Pete Townshend."

"Well I guess the Who... *puts sunglasses on*... Are you."

*YYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH*
09 March at 14:05 ·

Rod Steele
Rocking out is so fake.
09 March at 14:22 ·

Ben Harding
No it is not. Rocking out is GREAT.
09 March at 14:27 ·

Rod Steele
Yeah, let's all go watch "The Windmill" on YouTube.

The people who adore "rocking out" are also the cowards whopollute their favourite bands message board, ditch their bands over new music and whinge about every other facet of the bands private and personal lives.
09 March at 14:30 ·

Bollinger Bevanite
They the same kind of people who make sweeping generalisations Rod? And why hate The Who when there are still Led Zeppelin albums in circulation?
09 March at 16:09 ·

Frank Menesch
Only dickheads make generalisations.
09 March at 16:23 ·

Lloyd Barrett
I pay them but wouldn't play them
09 March at 19:39 ·

Frank Menesch
The joke here is that I am implying that I'm a dickhead.
09 March at 19:54 ·

Andrea Pavanello
i really hate the Who for real.
09 March at 20:06 ·

Neil Kulkarni
I do hate the Who because Daltrey is repulsive. I would never eat a sandwich made by that man, even if it had like really nice cheese in it. Because he looks grubby, even when clean. And he'd leave a thumbprint in the bread.
10 March at 06:28 ·

Rod Steele
I don't hate The Who or Zeppelin, I just hate the faceitious two faced nature of "idiot fan idolatry... and people who pander towards it.
10 March at 15:42 ·

1 comment:

  1. Fun read. I think you can like The Who genuinely, But it's okay to enjoy Led Zeppelin if you feel appropriatly guilty afterwards.

    ReplyDelete