
(From Facebook - warning, this is a horrendously long post.)
Everett True I hate the Doors.
22 February at 21:43 · Comment · Like
Simon Love, Sarah Guinevere Heald and Simon Price like this.
Adrienne Jensen Really?
22 February at 22:17
-----------------------------------------------------------
Everett True
I hate the Doors almost as much as I hate Suede
22 February at 21:44 · Comment · Like
George Gargan likes this.
Alastair Jackson
Where do Animal Collective fit in to the matrix of hate
22 February at 21:45 ·
Everett True
ah. now you're asking. they're too anonymous for me to hate them particularly - probably somewhere between The Family Cat and The House Of Love
22 February at 21:46 ·
Alastair Jackson
Ouch
22 February at 21:48 ·
Simon Price
Suede are better than all the bands you like.
22 February at 22:07 ·
Everett True
except for the ones that are better than Suede. Ner ner ner.
22 February at 22:08 ·
-----------------------------------------------------------
Everett True
But I don't hate the Doors anywhere near as much as I hate The Verve
22 February at 21:45 · Comment · Like
Simon Love and Simon Price like this.
James Scanlon
For once, I critically agree with you!
22 February at 21:46 ·
Alastair Jackson
Luckily for you these bands are all dead and buried.
22 February at 21:48 ·
Stevie Chick
such an antithetical band-name, 'the verve'
22 February at 21:50 ·
Tom Hannon
stop bumming et and get your own minds haha ;)
22 February at 21:58 ·
Stevie Chick
he who is tired of bumming et is tired of life
22 February at 21:59 ·
Tom Hannon
haha class!and almost certainly true(everett true infact!!)
22 February at 22:00 ·
Tom Hannon
and yes i must be tired of life then hah
22 February at 22:13 ·
Ali Bromwich
Fuck it I liked the verve!!!
23 February at 04:46 ·
-----------------------------------------------------------
Everett True
But I do hate the Doors more than I hate Iron Maiden
22 February at 21:48 · Comment · Like
Zack Wilson likes this.
Stevie Chick
maiden never cut a track as funky as peace frog ET
22 February at 21:49 ·
Simon Price
"Peace Frog" by The Doors is no "Peace Dog" by The Cult.
22 February at 21:50 ·
Jack Sargeant
I'm never sure if its the Doors that are the problem or their fans. I mean, we were just in LA and when you hear the Doors in a car driving in LA they 'make sense', likewise when you watch Apocalypse Now. But when you are a teenager and somebody tells you its poetry for the abyss...
22 February at 21:50 ·
Everett True
Peace Frog? Peace Frog? What weather zone you in, Mr Chick. I refuse to believe a song with a title like that exists and if it does... well!
22 February at 21:51 ·
Everett True
The reason I hate the Doors more than the Maiden is that I have never knowingly heard an Iron Maiden song. Ever. But I suspect I might not like them anyway.
22 February at 21:52 ·
Alastair Jackson
The problem is this kind of thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33rjiQ8WifM
22 February at 21:53 ·
Stevie Chick
mr true, CHECK! THIS! OUT! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KlVZ9CLg3E
had a pretty intense Doors period when i was fourteen, when the oliver stone movie came out, though i was swiftly cured. they are a real guilty pleasure though, so pompous and unsubtle and stupid, and morrison is just entirely repellent, on every front, and yet they retain a curious appeal.
22 February at 21:53 ·
Everett True
This here review - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Bruce-Dickinson/dp/B00005OBSG - is a great example of How To Review Something without ever having heard it. I stand by those words.
22 February at 21:53 ·
Stevie Chick
et i grew up surrounded by maiden-loving droogs, they make dungeons'n'dragons seem dangerous and sexy. put me off metal for a good long time, sadly.
22 February at 21:54 ·
Everett True
Ah, but Mr Chick. You also like a certain era of the Smashing Pumpkins, do you not? For probably the same reasons, am I correct to surmise?
22 February at 21:54 ·
Stevie Chick
nah i mostly tune out billy's bleat and just focus on the soft-pop and the cod-psych riffs... but i swear, 'drown' off the singles s/t is punpkins' one moment of genius: one minute they sound like Boston, the next minute (several minutes, actually) they're all dreamy-earbleed-feedback-MBV
22 February at 21:57 ·
Jon Slade
dear god, i just listened to peace frog. i hate the doors.
22 February at 21:58 ·
Everett True
I nearly choked with laughter when I read that comment, Jon.
22 February at 21:58 ·
Stevie Chick
any doors song that appears on the soundtrack to entourage is somehow instantly made 1000% better by the context, don't ask me why
22 February at 21:58 ·
Jon Slade
i don't know the name of that bastard on the organ, but he's even worse than the singer.
22 February at 21:59 ·
Ben Harding
Ray Manzarek is that bastard on the organ, Jon. Glad to be of service.
22 February at 22:05 ·
Jon Slade
thanks, man.
22 February at 22:05 ·
Ben Harding
*Puts 'LA Woman' on, nods out*
22 February at 22:05 ·
Everett True
there were two bands everyone who considered themselves 'cool' listened to in the 70s. The Doors... and I'd already left the house.
22 February at 22:06 ·
Ben Harding
Hehehe...*wakes up, puts Radio Birdman on instead*
22 February at 22:09 ·
Ben Harding
Was it Jethro Tull, ET? 'Cos I still listen to them.
22 February at 22:09 ·
Everett True
I have no idea. I was already halfway down the next road.
22 February at 22:10 ·
Ben Harding
Then, I do have a soft spot for the Maiden. First three albums, anyway. Any band that had a pic of their mascot killing Thatcher on a single sleeve was OK by me.
22 February at 22:12 ·
Ian Watson
I don't understand not liking Iron Maiden.
22 February at 23:09 ·
John Robb
I can understand why people don't like the doors but I love their stuff!
22 February at 23:22 ·
Candy Ballard
Agreed
23 February at 00:03 ·
Ben Harding
Maiden are good for a laugh, though... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NfQJ3OtYIE&feature=related
23 February at 00:09 ·
Angus Stevenson
The Doors were great apart from the singer, he was a bit annoying though the 'Apocalypse Now' overblown nonsense isn't really that representative of their stuff. But if you don't like their erm groovy organ licks you won't like them.
23 February at 03:31 ·
Francisco Scaramanga
oliver stone and meg ryan killed jim morrison
the kennedy brothers shot eachother
23 February at 05:30 ·
Fortune Teller Press
Jo Whiley doesn't like the Doors.
23 February at 07:57 ·
Candy Ballard
Jo Whiley likes Coldplay
23 February at 08:31 ·
-----------------------------------------------------------
Everett True
No wait. Please can I rescind that comment above? There's absolutely no way I hate Suede more than I hate The Doors. No fucking way. Apologies for any offence, inadvertently caused.
22 February at 22:04 · Comment · Like
Sara L. Andrew likes this.
Simon Keeler
Oh come on, offend, offend! Brighten my tube journey
22 February at 22:10 ·
Everett True
Have you checked out my Hole 2.0 joke yet, Simon?
22 February at 22:11 ·
Everett True
I just hate Suede a teensy, weensy little bit LESS than I hate The Doors.
22 February at 22:12 ·
Ben Harding
I do - I hate Suede more than almost anything.
22 February at 22:13 ·
Simon Keeler
They were dogsass
22 February at 22:16 ·
Larry Pickleman
I hate Suede so much I had completely blanked them out of my mind until now. Thanks a fucking lot!!!
22 February at 22:18 ·
Simon Bridger
Suede = One of the best bands of the nineties
Doors = One of the best bands of the sixties
Fact!
22 February at 22:23 ·
Everett True
the rain and snow has driven you mad, Simon
22 February at 22:23 ·
Larry Pickleman
Simon Bridger = someone who seriously confused fact with opinion
22 February at 22:24 ·
Simon Bridger
Don't think so Ev!...."Alabama song", "Not to touch the earth", "Love me two times", "Metal Mickey", "My insatiable one", "Killing of a flash boy"...that's six brilliant records just off the top of my head & there's numerous others, i rest my case m'lud! :)
22 February at 22:26 ·
Simon Bridger
Fact & opinion me old pickle!
22 February at 22:27 ·
Simon Keeler
Doors I can handle! Suede...another reason why british bands suck...simple...dogsass
22 February at 22:29 ·
Simon Bridger
I won't deny both bands are slightly pretentious but they both brightened up the landscape imho.
Before Suede we had Mega City Four, Suede came along with their faux Bowie glam & nuclear sky tunes & added a nice dash of glamour & sex appeal, also put a bit of style back in music when most bands at the time were looking a tad shabby & slack to put it mildly.
22 February at 22:34 ·
Larry Pickleman
thank god you've retreated to IMHO over fact... i'll drink my fresh coffee, you drink your luke warm pissy Tea
22 February at 22:40 ·
Simon Bridger
How did you know Larry, Earl Grey infact! :)
Everything is 'imho', there can be no right or wrong in music, as long as you dig what you dig, tis all that matters.
22 February at 22:43 ·
Larry Pickleman
FACT!
22 February at 22:51 ·
Ben Harding
Give me the Megas any day. But then I would say that, wouldn't I?
23 February at 00:02 ·
Simon Bridger
I guess if you like The Megas you wouldn't like Suede considering they are the antithesis of MC4.
I do understand why people don't like Suede or The Doors but for me they are both easy targets, the test for me is usually if a band gets better or worse with age, i like listening to The Doors as much as i ever have in 30 something years of listening...
See more
23 February at 00:17 ·
Simon Keeler
You bloody fraggle harding!
23 February at 02:55 ·
-----------------------------------------------------------
Everett True
I mean, I REALLY hate The Verve.
22 February at 22:15 · Comment · Like
Mike Schulman, Peter Robert Byrchmore, Veronika Neomayer and 3 others like this.
James Scanlon
I don't feckin' believe you.
22 February at 22:16 ·
Andrea Pavanello
you're right.
22 February at 22:17 ·
Lloyd Barrett
yeah i don't know what the UK music press was thinking
22 February at 22:47 ·
-----------------------------------------------------------
Everett True
Know what else I don't like?
22 February at 22:20 · Comment · Like
Simon Price
Daisy Chainsaw?
22 February at 22:21 ·
Everett True
Ha ha ha ha!
22 February at 22:21 ·
Everett True
you don't get radiators in Brisbane
22 February at 22:21 ·
Lloyd Barrett
I ♥ Katie Jane!
22 February at 22:23 ·
Jon Slade
what do you get instead?
22 February at 22:23 ·
Everett True
endless sleepless nights, basking in the warm glow of yr own sticky and slippery perspiration
22 February at 22:25 ·
Jon Slade
great stuff http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qiXPpwtCxA
22 February at 22:26 ·
Adrienne Jensen
I second the hatred of sleepless nights.
22 February at 22:27 ·
Everett True
you bastard Slade! You would link to the one song I like. (Did they have another?) (And why's Nicky Wire playing guitar?)
22 February at 22:27 ·
Lloyd Barrett
bet you hate this too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4Ll5AdsLSU
22 February at 22:46 ·
Jon Slade
stinker
22 February at 22:51 ·
Tim Hinely
Ringo
22 February at 23:30 ·
White Hotel
Wasn't KJ the anorexic? I seem to remember a great interview she gave (Select? Lime Lizard?) about how much she hated fat people, food, her body, breathing, singing and being famous.
I still have the Love Your Money 12''.
22 February at 23:35 ·
Andrew Hitchcock
fat kids
23 February at 06:36 ·
Russell Birrer
i ♥ KJ also...any idea what happened to her ?
23 February at 06:58 ·
Jason Gerber
the curling competition ?
23 February at 07:37 ·
Lloyd Barrett
@ Russell - http://www.katiejanegarside.com/index2.html
Queen Adreena is Daisy Chainsaw with new bassist and drummer
Ruby Throat is her 'i just escaped from a cult, here's my folktronica' thing
23 February at 08:09 ·
Russell Birrer
Had heard a few Q A songs, didn't realise it was her... I quite liked them from memory...shhh, don't tell Everett
23 February at 12:09 ·
Russell Birrer
Thanks Lloyd btw..
23 February at 12:09 ·
Lloyd Barrett
No probs... I have about an album of decent Q A from the 4 they have released - but the first D C EP and album still my faves
23 February at 12:29 ·
(from Facebook)
Everett True I hate the Doors.
22 February at 21:43 · Comment · Like
Simon Love, Sarah Guinevere Heald and Simon Price like this.
Adrienne Jensen Really?
22 February at 22:17
-----------------------------------------------------------
Everett True
I hate the Doors almost as much as I hate Suede
22 February at 21:44 · Comment · Like
George Gargan likes this.
Alastair Jackson
Where do Animal Collective fit in to the matrix of hate
22 February at 21:45 ·
Everett True
ah. now you're asking. they're too anonymous for me to hate them particularly - probably somewhere between The Family Cat and The House Of Love
22 February at 21:46 ·
Alastair Jackson
Ouch
22 February at 21:48 ·
Simon Price
Suede are better than all the bands you like.
22 February at 22:07 ·
Everett True
except for the ones that are better than Suede. Ner ner ner.
22 February at 22:08 ·
-----------------------------------------------------------
Everett True
But I don't hate the Doors anywhere near as much as I hate The Verve
22 February at 21:45 · Comment · Like
Simon Love and Simon Price like this.
James Scanlon
For once, I critically agree with you!
22 February at 21:46 ·
Alastair Jackson
Luckily for you these bands are all dead and buried.
22 February at 21:48 ·
Stevie Chick
such an antithetical band-name, 'the verve'
22 February at 21:50 ·
Tom Hannon
stop bumming et and get your own minds haha ;)
22 February at 21:58 ·
Stevie Chick
he who is tired of bumming et is tired of life
22 February at 21:59 ·
Tom Hannon
haha class!and almost certainly true(everett true infact!!)
22 February at 22:00 ·
Tom Hannon
and yes i must be tired of life then hah
22 February at 22:13 ·
Ali Bromwich
Fuck it I liked the verve!!!
23 February at 04:46 ·
-----------------------------------------------------------
Everett True
But I do hate the Doors more than I hate Iron Maiden
22 February at 21:48 · Comment · Like
Zack Wilson likes this.
Stevie Chick
maiden never cut a track as funky as peace frog ET
22 February at 21:49 ·
Simon Price
"Peace Frog" by The Doors is no "Peace Dog" by The Cult.
22 February at 21:50 ·
Jack Sargeant
I'm never sure if its the Doors that are the problem or their fans. I mean, we were just in LA and when you hear the Doors in a car driving in LA they 'make sense', likewise when you watch Apocalypse Now. But when you are a teenager and somebody tells you its poetry for the abyss...
22 February at 21:50 ·
Everett True
Peace Frog? Peace Frog? What weather zone you in, Mr Chick. I refuse to believe a song with a title like that exists and if it does... well!
22 February at 21:51 ·
Everett True
The reason I hate the Doors more than the Maiden is that I have never knowingly heard an Iron Maiden song. Ever. But I suspect I might not like them anyway.
22 February at 21:52 ·
Alastair Jackson
The problem is this kind of thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33rjiQ8WifM
22 February at 21:53 ·
Stevie Chick
mr true, CHECK! THIS! OUT! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KlVZ9CLg3E
had a pretty intense Doors period when i was fourteen, when the oliver stone movie came out, though i was swiftly cured. they are a real guilty pleasure though, so pompous and unsubtle and stupid, and morrison is just entirely repellent, on every front, and yet they retain a curious appeal.
22 February at 21:53 ·
Everett True
This here review - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Bruce-Dickinson/dp/B00005OBSG - is a great example of How To Review Something without ever having heard it. I stand by those words.
22 February at 21:53 ·
Stevie Chick
et i grew up surrounded by maiden-loving droogs, they make dungeons'n'dragons seem dangerous and sexy. put me off metal for a good long time, sadly.
22 February at 21:54 ·
Everett True
Ah, but Mr Chick. You also like a certain era of the Smashing Pumpkins, do you not? For probably the same reasons, am I correct to surmise?
22 February at 21:54 ·
Stevie Chick
nah i mostly tune out billy's bleat and just focus on the soft-pop and the cod-psych riffs... but i swear, 'drown' off the singles s/t is punpkins' one moment of genius: one minute they sound like Boston, the next minute (several minutes, actually) they're all dreamy-earbleed-feedback-MBV
22 February at 21:57 ·
Jon Slade
dear god, i just listened to peace frog. i hate the doors.
22 February at 21:58 ·
Everett True
I nearly choked with laughter when I read that comment, Jon.
22 February at 21:58 ·
Stevie Chick
any doors song that appears on the soundtrack to entourage is somehow instantly made 1000% better by the context, don't ask me why
22 February at 21:58 ·
Jon Slade
i don't know the name of that bastard on the organ, but he's even worse than the singer.
22 February at 21:59 ·
Ben Harding
Ray Manzarek is that bastard on the organ, Jon. Glad to be of service.
22 February at 22:05 ·
Jon Slade
thanks, man.
22 February at 22:05 ·
Ben Harding
*Puts 'LA Woman' on, nods out*
22 February at 22:05 ·
Everett True
there were two bands everyone who considered themselves 'cool' listened to in the 70s. The Doors... and I'd already left the house.
22 February at 22:06 ·
Ben Harding
Hehehe...*wakes up, puts Radio Birdman on instead*
22 February at 22:09 ·
Ben Harding
Was it Jethro Tull, ET? 'Cos I still listen to them.
22 February at 22:09 ·
Everett True
I have no idea. I was already halfway down the next road.
22 February at 22:10 ·
Ben Harding
Then, I do have a soft spot for the Maiden. First three albums, anyway. Any band that had a pic of their mascot killing Thatcher on a single sleeve was OK by me.
22 February at 22:12 ·
Ian Watson
I don't understand not liking Iron Maiden.
22 February at 23:09 ·
John Robb
I can understand why people don't like the doors but I love their stuff!
22 February at 23:22 ·
Candy Ballard
Agreed
23 February at 00:03 ·
Ben Harding
Maiden are good for a laugh, though... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NfQJ3OtYIE&feature=related
23 February at 00:09 ·
Angus Stevenson
The Doors were great apart from the singer, he was a bit annoying though the 'Apocalypse Now' overblown nonsense isn't really that representative of their stuff. But if you don't like their erm groovy organ licks you won't like them.
23 February at 03:31 ·
Francisco Scaramanga
oliver stone and meg ryan killed jim morrison
the kennedy brothers shot eachother
23 February at 05:30 ·
Fortune Teller Press
Jo Whiley doesn't like the Doors.
23 February at 07:57 ·
Candy Ballard
Jo Whiley likes Coldplay
23 February at 08:31 ·
-----------------------------------------------------------
Everett True
No wait. Please can I rescind that comment above? There's absolutely no way I hate Suede more than I hate The Doors. No fucking way. Apologies for any offence, inadvertently caused.
22 February at 22:04 · Comment · Like
Sara L. Andrew likes this.
Simon Keeler
Oh come on, offend, offend! Brighten my tube journey
22 February at 22:10 ·
Everett True
Have you checked out my Hole 2.0 joke yet, Simon?
22 February at 22:11 ·
Everett True
I just hate Suede a teensy, weensy little bit LESS than I hate The Doors.
22 February at 22:12 ·
Ben Harding
I do - I hate Suede more than almost anything.
22 February at 22:13 ·
Simon Keeler
They were dogsass
22 February at 22:16 ·
Larry Pickleman
I hate Suede so much I had completely blanked them out of my mind until now. Thanks a fucking lot!!!
22 February at 22:18 ·
Simon Bridger
Suede = One of the best bands of the nineties
Doors = One of the best bands of the sixties
Fact!
22 February at 22:23 ·
Everett True
the rain and snow has driven you mad, Simon
22 February at 22:23 ·
Larry Pickleman
Simon Bridger = someone who seriously confused fact with opinion
22 February at 22:24 ·
Simon Bridger
Don't think so Ev!...."Alabama song", "Not to touch the earth", "Love me two times", "Metal Mickey", "My insatiable one", "Killing of a flash boy"...that's six brilliant records just off the top of my head & there's numerous others, i rest my case m'lud! :)
22 February at 22:26 ·
Simon Bridger
Fact & opinion me old pickle!
22 February at 22:27 ·
Simon Keeler
Doors I can handle! Suede...another reason why british bands suck...simple...dogsass
22 February at 22:29 ·
Simon Bridger
I won't deny both bands are slightly pretentious but they both brightened up the landscape imho.
Before Suede we had Mega City Four, Suede came along with their faux Bowie glam & nuclear sky tunes & added a nice dash of glamour & sex appeal, also put a bit of style back in music when most bands at the time were looking a tad shabby & slack to put it mildly.
22 February at 22:34 ·
Larry Pickleman
thank god you've retreated to IMHO over fact... i'll drink my fresh coffee, you drink your luke warm pissy Tea
22 February at 22:40 ·
Simon Bridger
How did you know Larry, Earl Grey infact! :)
Everything is 'imho', there can be no right or wrong in music, as long as you dig what you dig, tis all that matters.
22 February at 22:43 ·
Larry Pickleman
FACT!
22 February at 22:51 ·
Ben Harding
Give me the Megas any day. But then I would say that, wouldn't I?
23 February at 00:02 ·
Simon Bridger
I guess if you like The Megas you wouldn't like Suede considering they are the antithesis of MC4.
I do understand why people don't like Suede or The Doors but for me they are both easy targets, the test for me is usually if a band gets better or worse with age, i like listening to The Doors as much as i ever have in 30 something years of listening...
See more
23 February at 00:17 ·
Simon Keeler
You bloody fraggle harding!
23 February at 02:55 ·
-----------------------------------------------------------
Everett True
I mean, I REALLY hate The Verve.
22 February at 22:15 · Comment · Like
Mike Schulman, Peter Robert Byrchmore, Veronika Neomayer and 3 others like this.
James Scanlon
I don't feckin' believe you.
22 February at 22:16 ·
Andrea Pavanello
you're right.
22 February at 22:17 ·
Lloyd Barrett
yeah i don't know what the UK music press was thinking
22 February at 22:47 ·
-----------------------------------------------------------
Everett True
I really don't like...
22 February at 22:29 · Comment · Like
Michael Fantham likes this.
Jon Slade
stevie wonder
22 February at 22:31 ·
Jon Slade
coffee
22 February at 22:35 ·
Jon Slade
pasta
22 February at 22:37 ·
Franny Glass
joni mitchell.
22 February at 22:37 ·
Jon Slade
omg
22 February at 22:38 ·
Jodi Biddle
Brisbane mosquitos? I swear one just flipped me off.
22 February at 22:51 ·
Aubrey Fairweather
The Boomtown Rats.
22 February at 22:55 ·
Simon Keeler
Simon keeler about to flame / nuke you whilst he's stood in the rain. In london
22 February at 23:04 ·
Tim Hinely
Paul Weller
22 February at 23:29 ·
Clem Conti
Police (and Sting)
22 February at 23:33 ·
Donald Campbell
Elvis
22 February at 23:46 ·
Candy Ballard
Modern hymns
23 February at 00:01 ·
Caren Faisst
not knowing the W-Hole story
23 February at 00:57 ·
Shawn Wolfe
U2
23 February at 02:04 ·
Thomas Hazelmyer
Velvet Underground -particularly Lou Reed. Yea I know it's rock n' roll sacrilege, but hey, there it is.
23 February at 03:01 ·
Adrienne Jensen
Bono, Sting.
23 February at 06:40 ·
Thomas Hazelmyer
Man, I agree with this entire list, except Paul Weller gets a pass just on the first 4 or 5 Jam LP's, otherwise he fits in perfectly.
23 February at 10:51 ·
Everett True
agreed on Weller, Thomas.
23 February at 10:58 ·
Richard McGrath
Lou Reed's 'Mistrial'..Thomas? Or White Light/Heat?
23 February at 13:47 ·
Thomas Hazelmyer
Especially White Light/Heat. Almost 30 years of being exposed to it, and I just don't see what the big deal is.
24 February at 01:04 ·
Richard McGrath
Great answer.. I think you could almost say a Lou Reed answer..cept he probably woulda got in some dig at Jim Morrison as well..Bailter Space Eh?
24 February at 02:01 ·
Richard McGrath
Ok..uh.most of above cept Lou way above Weller..I hate the way every punk doco I've ever seen ignores The Saints and virtually everything outside London/New York..whilst treating the Clash as mana from heaven..but I especially loathe Henry Rollins..the fucken emperor is butt naked OK! Radiohead (I've just ignored em..seem like whining Pommy squares..Patti Smith (Piss Factory/Horses excepted her careers almost as bad as Iggy's post New Values).And I'll be honest here..everyone I know raves about Daniel Johnston..and ..I just don't get it..OK
24 February at 02:41 ·
Richard McGrath In fact theres so many things I really don't like..music: above plus virtually all US 'hardcore',lazy Kiwi 'cruisey dub'..slap bass LA funk metal,virtually all long hair 'grunge' of 90's..people that bang on about politics in music standup Bragg,McKaye,RATM etc. Away from music..(most) tatts on girls..all tatts on 'squares'...people who bang on about 'Free Palestine' when they've read like one fucken Robert Fisk book..fucken Robert Fisk..even worse John Pilger..most sports that I used to love rugby,football even cricket's kinda blah..so many things..man I'm negative!
24 February at 03:57 ·
Thomas Hazelmyer
Dude everyone ignored downunder (oz/nz) until they did something so insane/amazingly great it was akin to a nuke attack... Birthday Party. Gordons were almost as great but still criminally ignored.
24 February at 05:28 ·
Richard McGrath
Two of my alltime right there...you heard Gordons 2? Bet you hav'nt...what would it be worth up over?..I got a mint..almost unplayed (lol) copy..called my mother a nasty 4 letter word when she chucked out my Gordons poster..risked life n' limb for it
24 February at 05:41 ·
Thomas Hazelmyer
The CD I got , had an extra EP's tracks on it ,my 2nd CD I ever purchased as no one had ever actually seen Gordons vinyl LP in the Midwest. Took me long enough to track down a CD copy of X's "At Home With You". I don't collect - I just listen... a lot!
24 February at 06:10 ·
Richard McGrath
Yeah well Gordons 2 is def only for collectors..gat Alistair had some sorta 'crisis' left..bass John H switched to gat vox..some other fella on bass..coupla good songs but guess theres reason it was never reissued its not Adults + Children or the one w/ Spik+Span..but its exactly same sorta cover black 'n white w/ 'Deep Sea Diving bell' image (so long since I got em out) saw it on auction site..I asked whether it was '2'..yep..bidding got to $100..on own label. You'd be familiar w/ Skeptics '3' 'Almagam'? John H and Brent McLaughlin on drums late 80's.
24 February at 13:05 ·
Richard McGrath
'Quality Control' is the song on it..more straight ahead..kinda dated mid 80's paranoia..nuclear war..day after sorta themes. 'Lead Room'..you know Cold War..vibe
24 February at 13:08 ·
-----------------------------------------------------------
Everett True
Look. I don't want to get too controversial here. But I hate The Doors more than I hate Coldplay.
23 February at 09:05 · Comment · Like
Jeffrey Louis-Reed, Heike Sch, Keir Hardie and 2 others like this.
Been Roseache
you're in a bit of a strop today
23 February at 09:11 ·
Everett True
No! I just really don't like the Doors
23 February at 09:11 ·
Erika Meyer
Wow.
23 February at 09:13 ·
Darragh Bee-bop Murray
Time to invest in a few more windows then. Bwhaha!
23 February at 09:17 ·
Keir Hardie
I don't know if I hate The Doors more than Coldplay. But they are kind of cheesy and sucky. Especially Jim Morrison and his whole cheesy leather trousers cheesy swivel hips pretentious cheesy rock and roll cheesy leather trousers schtick.
23 February at 09:17 ·
Grant Cogswell
But without the Doors there's no Joy Division.
23 February at 09:20 ·
Keir Hardie
Without Hitler there's no Joy Division, but we don't have to like Hitler.
23 February at 09:22 ·
Mark Headley
Coldplay straight from the mixing desk http://bit.ly/cH8PQx
23 February at 09:22 ·
Simon Hilton
...nice return Keir.
23 February at 09:23 ·
Grant Cogswell
Well, they would have a different name, but their sound... not that I give a shit for the Doors much.
23 February at 09:25 ·
Erika Meyer
Mmmmmm. Cheese.
23 February at 09:29 ·
Jason Graham
Chris Martin has got a lisp, right
23 February at 09:29 ·
Richard Boulter
I always thought and pictured the Doors as a Vegas act circa rat pack years. That's the only time they could ever be good
23 February at 09:29 ·
Candy Ballard
...Lucky Lisp
23 February at 09:38 ·
-----------------------------------------------------------
Everett True
You know, the really strange thing is that although I hate The Verve more than I hate The Doors, and I hate The Doors more than I hate Coldplay... I hate Coldplay more than I hate The Verve. How can that be?
23 February at 09:17 · Comment · Like
Marco Lochmann, Lainy Small and Erika Meyer like this.
Jack Sargeant
but U2 are the worst
23 February at 09:21 ·
Paolo Fernley
This should be an exam question.
23 February at 09:24 ·
Richard Boulter
You have a venn diagram of musical diagrams
23 February at 09:27 ·
Jason Graham
I used to work at the accountants for two of those acts. I probably hate them more than is healthy
23 February at 09:27 ·
Candy Ballard
You defy logic
23 February at 09:30 ·
Bill Cummings
Which era of the verve tho? They're like three different bands.
23 February at 09:34 ·
Mike Nipper
Love the way you think.
23 February at 09:43 ·
Clem Conti
It looks okay for me. http://bit.ly/d4DXw0
23 February at 09:50 ·
Everett True
that's brilliant Clem. I'm gonna shove that up on my blog right now, if you don't mind!
23 February at 10:22 ·
Gary Strickland
Hmm. The Verve and Coldplay are just a couple of bands that sold a few records, nothing special in the big picture. However, The Doors have a proper place in history. Having said that, there are loads of important bands that I have no interest in.
23 February at 10:27 ·
Adrian Ryan
i hate coldpay. i am not fond of the doors. otherwise, i have no clue what you're talking about, everett. "it's just a bitter sweet, sym-pho-nee, blah blah blah!" tru lurve.
23 February at 12:33 ·
Matt Bowen
its not odd at all, coldplay is just, i dont even know if the emotion i get when i hear them is a word haha, they are just disgusting so its perfectly normal to feel as you do; on that note I thought the Verve had a couple good songs
23 February at 15:20 ·
Debbie Schow
physics
23 February at 15:42 ·
Candy Ballard
"Taste is not fixed." (The Riddler)
23 February at 15:56 ·
-----------------------------------------------------------
Everett True
Folk have been asking where I'd place the Smashing Pumpkins within this nexus of musical hatred. Nowhere. I couldn't give a fuck about the Smashing Pumpkins.
23 February at 10:44 · Comment · Like
Andrew Davenhall, Donna Taylor, Deniz Martinez and 4 others like this.
Ben Martin
Nor could Malkmus.
23 February at 10:46 ·
Everett True
Yeah, he stole that line from me.
23 February at 10:46 ·
Ben Martin
Explain?
23 February at 10:46 ·
Grant Cogswell
Awful.
23 February at 11:06 ·
Jennifer Blair
1979!?
23 February at 15:38 ·
-----------------------------------------------------------
Everett True
The Clash were the reason I didn't like punk rock. (The Slits were the reason I did.)
23 February at 10:45 · Comment · Like
Tamsin Chapman, Sarah Titmuss, Steph Snails O'Malley Jones and 6 others like this.
Keir Hardie
The Clash - more like pub rock.
23 February at 10:49 ·
Mark Headley
Or a fairground barker.
23 February at 10:51 ·
Jon Kincaid
Strummer was the least inventive one so he got all the hype, Same as Lennon, really,
23 February at 11:00 ·
Grant Cogswell
You ARE grumpy! (Though the Slits RULE.)
23 February at 11:07 ·
Everett True
Hey. It's not my fault crap exists. It just falls to me the duty to heft the brush every now and then.
23 February at 11:08 ·
Donald Campbell
Eddie and the Hotrods!
23 February at 11:20 ·
Michael Fantham
I see where you're coming from, but London Calling is still a seminal piece of punk history, no?
23 February at 11:23 ·
Frank Menesch
You're all ignoring My Chemical Romance.
23 February at 14:27 ·
Aubrey Fairweather
As everyone should.
23 February at 18:42 ·
Nick Smith
It doesn't matter if something is 'seminal' in a historical way. The Nazis were a seminal moment in history; doesn't mean they should be embraced.
23 February at 18:44 ·
Aubrey Fairweather
Um, the Clash may be bad (although I liked them when Mick sang) but it's more than a little disingenuous and offensive to compare them with the Nazis.
23 February at 18:59 ·
Nick Smith I wasn't comparing the Clash to the Nazis, I was merely pointing out that seminal doesn't equal good.
23 February at 19:01 ·
Aubrey Fairweather
1. All Nazi's are bad.
2. All Clash songs are bad.
3. Therefore, the Nazi's were CLash fans.
Hang on, that's not right.....
23 February at 19:09 ·
Nick Smith
Aubrey, that's not what I was saying. Michael said that London's Calling was a seminal piece of punk history.
'Seminal' = "having possibilities of future development, highly original and influencing the development of future events". Basically a game changer.
A seminal moment in 20th century history was the rise of the Nazis. I could have picked another example but there could be debates about whether others were good/bad etc. whereas, I'd hope, that would not be the case with the Nazis.
My point being that just because soemthing is seminal does not make it a good thing. Nothing to do with the Clash. Everything to do with the word seminal and historical context. I've not said anything about my opinion of the Clash, as far as you know I might love them. I did not say that all there songs were bad, therefore the correlation you set out above has nothing to so with what I was saying.
23 February at 19:17 ·
Aubrey Fairweather
Whoa there, I was being flippant!
23 February at 20:44 ·
Aubrey Fairweather
In the latter post, not the former.
23 February at 20:45 ·
Simon Bridger
Didn't realise we had such different tastes Everett, i'm the other way round on this one, The Clash were a magnificent band, probably only the first album would count as Punk as they progressed, especially on the magnificent third album "London Calling".
The Slits on the other hand i don't really get, pseudo art school cod reggae or something, all a bit of a mess & no tunes that really rock my world.
How about you post up a Dexys thread, i'm sure we'll agree on that one! :)
P.S. Yes i do know Paul Simenon was art school & mainly in the band for his look, yes they may have been a bit designer rebellion but "What's my name?", "Hateful", "London calling", "Spanish bombs" etc, what's not to dig?
23 February at 22:31 ·
Everett True
true enough on Dexys!
23 February at 23:14 ·
Dougie Conroy
big fan of both The Clash & The Slits - liked Strummer as a man & a musician. As for the Nazi analogy, the context should surely be that the Nazi's were a seminal part of the Fascist movement (both abhorrent, so a double negative) whereas The Clash (love them or loathe them) were most certainly a seminal part of the punk movement that helped shape a huge portion of post '70's music - and we all love music... and hate Nazis ;)
24 February at 02:17 ·
Aubrey Fairweather
Jesus...Clash fans have no sense of humour. You'd think it'd be a prerequisite.
24 February at 04:24 ·
Paul Louis Archer
I finally agree with you Everett, I loathe The Clash. As a spotty teenager, I used to ogle at The Slits record cover for "Cut". A teenage wank fantasy ;-)
24 February at 04:45 ·
Aubrey Fairweather
Oh dear.
24 February at 04:56 ·
Paul Louis Archer
It's an affirmation of life dear sir ;-)
24 February at 05:34 ·
Richard McGrath
Saints, Birdman, Ramones, Crime, Wire...Clash so over-rated its not funny
24 February at 05:37 ·
Thomas Hazelmyer
Haven't bothered with the Clash since they shit out that turd called "Londons Calling".
Which one of the Slits shows up in documentaries in Al Jolson black face using a thick rastafari accent? Now that shit is funny!
24 February at 06:03 ·
Ian Wilson
Mick Jones had to tune the Slits guitars before a gig- nuff said!
24 February at 07:31 ·
Everett True
...but they would have been even better if he hadn't
24 February at 07:42 ·
-----------------------------------------------------------
Lloyd Barrett
I just realised: you're building a Complaints Orchestra aren't you?
23 February at 11:01 · Comment · Like ·
Candy Ballard likes this.
Everett True ha. no.
23 February at 11:05 ·
-----------------------------------------------------------

If you like it you like it. Music criticism has gone to shit because you base it on what other people think about it and therefore do the opposite. Same with the pitchfork stuff, everybody gets sick of reading complaints about pitchfork just like we get sick of them praising the worst bands on the planet. But yeah, I like you're writing...
ReplyDeleteExhausted now. Very amusing banter though - now please never mention The Doors, Suede or The Verve ever again. Having just read Luke Haines' book which brought back too many memories of bands (whose existences I'd previously erased) to the fore, this post just has merely served to cement them back into my conscious mind. It'll be months now 'til I can forget again.... I hate you all!
ReplyDelete