
I love Facebook sometimes.
You casually scroll through the comments and links and status updates of the myriad people who claim, mostly somewhat spuriously, to have an affiliation with you and discover this.
You know that when a band lists their influences as B-52's,Young Marble Giants, Shangri-Las, Detroit Cobras, Joan Jett & the Runaways, Exotica!, 60's garage girl groups, Ladytron, Cat Power, Electrelane, Tiger Trap, Barbara Manning, Connie Francis, Xavier Cugat, Hanoi Rocks, Duran Duran, the Cure, Brigette Bardot, Francoise Hardy, Serge Gainsbourg, Mr Airplane Man, Edith Frost, Velvet Underground, David Bowie, Deerhoof, Blondie, etc... they're either gonna be the new Softies or the new Vivian Girls, but either way you're going to be able to make your mind up within seconds.
And, with a list like that, it pretty much makes music criticism superfluous.
The new stuff from The Monster Women sounds like Holly Golightly played through one of those saturated sound filters so much in favour these days, softened with a Slumber Party/mid-80s glow. No edges left to scuff your knees on. From Eureka, CA. (Is there really a town called Eureka?)
Here's a video. Oddly, the music contained therein is quite different from that on their MySpace page. But man, I dig both styles for sure.
Here's another. Fuck, sometimes I wish folk didn't have video cameras at everything now. It reduces the unique thrill of live performance.
Oh wait, it was Allison Wolfe who recommended them. Well, no wonder I like 'em!

(From Facebook)
ReplyDeletePaul Jones, Rich Jensen and Antonia Sellbach like this.
Antonia Sellbach
i was doing much the same thing moments ago. They are great..
5 hours ago · Delete
Tony WallyDanger Gattuso
I'm moving to Eureka in a few weeks so looking forward to seeing them play.
4 hours ago · Delete
Paul Jones
very gooooooood
2 hours ago · Delete
the mid-80ies glow really does shine... it somehow feels like being trapped into the weirdest moments from De Palma's BODY DOUBLE... in a very good way.
ReplyDeletecool stuff indeed!
You know if they've got any music out to buy?
ReplyDeleteI grew up in Eureka, California. It is a 12 hours drive south of Aberdeen, Washington on Highway 101, and is basically the same town as Aberdeen, Astoria, South Bend and all rural shit-towns on 101. We have a bay, pulp mills, a dying fishing industry, a dying timber industry, rednecks, and lots of fog. It is the kind of place that breeds punk rock. The most famous band to come out of Eureka was called Mr. Bungle. I had a crush on the future singer when we were in sixth grade, but my love was not returned. It's ok, he wasn't a good fit. afa Trashwomen, yay! I noticed them on myspace a couple years ago and they are definitely one of the neatest things I've heard out of Eureka. Actually I'm from Freshwater, and I usually claim Arcata before I'll claim Eureka....
ReplyDelete(Did I say Trashwomen? if I did, I meant Monster Women. I keep getting them mixed up.)
ReplyDeleteI hear some Serpentone influences on the first song as well which is the better of the 2.
ReplyDeleteYeah Eureka is pretty much a shit-bag.