
(from Facebook)
Everett True
The Cramps. The Cramps. The Cramps. Only one of the fucking five greatest rock'n'roll bands ever. Ever
20 January at 16:38
Lainy Small, Debbie RawCat, Andrew Hitchcock and 12 others like this.
Grant Cogswell
Oh, man. I saw them at the Moore in, it must have been September of 89, and every time I look at the picture on the back of 'Gravest Hits' I think of their concentrated ferocity on that little stage, that faith and worship of the beat.
20 January at 16:42 ·
Grant Cogswell
And then a year later at that place up by the Space Needle, where Lux finished by sticking the mic stand up through the cheesecake ceiling and leaving it there to hang and squall.
20 January at 16:43 ·
Candy Ballard
London Lyceum ... my heart throbbed.
20 January at 17:15 ·
Russell Birrer
GC-they would have been awesome at the Moore ! I got to see them about 4 or 5 times, each time better than the last....can't say that about many bands
20 January at 17:20 ·
Everett True
saw them in 81 with the Meteors in support. Oh. My.God.
20 January at 17:32 ·
Everett True
they also only happened to directly influence two of the other five fucking greatest rock'n'roll bands ever... any takers?
20 January at 17:34 ·
Everett True
(strictly, that should be FOUR)
20 January at 17:35 ·
Russell Birrer
gun club ?
20 January at 17:37 ·
Everett True
good guess, but no. not in this house. much as I love 'em.
20 January at 17:39 ·
Grant Cogswell
I would say Nirvana, and... somebody else you really dig who I'm not so keen on.
Did you see them in 81 in London? Where?
20 January at 17:55 ·
Bianca Rosemarie de Valentino
I concur E! x
20 January at 18:07 ·
John Robb
agreed!
20 January at 18:11 ·
Rachel Beth Coburn
The White Stripes?
20 January at 18:27 ·
Everett True
Nirvana, White Stripes...both great guesses, love 'em both to pieces. But no. London gig was...god, I don't know...somewhere in Hammersmith I think
20 January at 18:29 ·
Candy Ballard
The Birthday Party
20 January at 18:47 ·
Everett True
Yep! That's one!
20 January at 18:49 ·
Aubrey Fairweather
The Mary Chain?
20 January at 18:50 ·
Aubrey Fairweather
Vengaboys.
20 January at 19:01 ·
Candy Ballard
Ramones
20 January at 19:05 ·
Rachel Beth Coburn
Killing Joke
20 January at 19:10 ·
Rachel Beth Coburn
The Misfits. Danzig. my last two guesses before I fall asleep and my head hits the keyboard. goodnight!
20 January at 19:19 ·
Rachel Beth Coburn
oh - The Damned? okay goodnight for real now...
20 January at 19:26 ·
Rachel Beth Coburn
Am I this competitive? I have to throw these out there: Sonic Youth. the Jesus Lizard. soon I will be writing BARRY MANILOW as I'm losing it. must. stop. obsessing.
20 January at 19:33 ·
Michael Ergo
pussy galore?
20 January at 19:36 ·
Mark Headley
My Bloody Valentine. Cramps-copyists in the early days before they blossomed.
20 January at 20:57 ·
Angus Stevenson
London Lyceum, supporting the Police! (who were also pretty damn good TBH)
20 January at 21:28 ·
Mark Headley
Our bassist Matthew Seligman had just been playing with Alex Chilton and was in a band on that Police/Cramps tour - the stories are mental!
20 January at 22:05 ·
Larry Pickleman
i can't think of much better than the cramps on top form
20 January at 22:22 ·
Fortune Teller Press
I saw the Cramps at the Hammersmith Palais about 1982. Remember Lux hitting a spitting punter on the head with his mic stand, later he got his 'old boy' out and cut his chest up. What more do you want from a gig?
20 January at 22:35 ·
Everett True
No one's got the other band yet. I've been listening to some great early lost outtakes and demos - fucking so great. So great
20 January at 22:37 ·
Fortune Teller Press
I know that QOTSA and the Butthole Surfers are influenced by The Cramps..but it prob not them.
20 January at 22:53 ·
Everett True
Nope, much as I like certain albums by both groups
20 January at 22:54 ·
Simon Bridger
Nation of Ulysees, Make Up, Bad Seeds, Murder Junkies, Kid Congo, Rocket from the Crypt, gallon Drunk erm?
20 January at 22:57 ·
Mark Headley
JSBX?
20 January at 23:01 ·
Everett True
All good Simon, but no. Jon Slade to the table!
20 January at 23:17 ·
Simon Bridger
Huggy Bear?
20 January at 23:18 ·
Fortune Teller Press
None of SB's suggestions - then I give up.
20 January at 23:18 ·
Everett True
Ha! no.
20 January at 23:18 ·
Everett True
Huggy Bear... hmmm... more the right area. Ish.
20 January at 23:19 ·
Simon Bridger
TVP's, Bikini Kill, Blood Sausage, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Loveblobs, Sister George hee hee
20 January at 23:22 ·
Fortune Teller Press
Bikini Kill
20 January at 23:25 ·
Fortune Teller Press
Hole
20 January at 23:27 ·
Mark Headley
Ha! ha! Beat Happening?
20 January at 23:38 ·
Simon Bridger
My five would be The Who (6ts), Stooges, Seeds, Music Machine & The Pogues (8ts)...today anyway, it'll probably change tomorrow.
20 January at 23:41 ·
Rachel Beth Coburn
Babes in Toyland?
20 January at 23:53 ·
Fortune Teller Press
It's THE LEGEND! isn't it?
21 January at 00:16 ·
James Scanlon
Have you been eating stuff off the sidewalks again, Jerry?
21 January at 01:13 ·
Everett True
Someone finally got it. And no, not The Legend!
21 January at 03:23 ·
Mark Headley
i'm more important in the usa
than a spy for the fbi
i'm trained to meet
the criminal elite
and i seek out wherever evil resides
21 January at 04:08 ·
Everett True
absolutely.
21 January at 07:26 ·
Marcus Jay Woody
so who are the five?
21 January at 08:29 ·
Everett True
Ah. One of the other two got mentioned in this list earlier.
21 January at 08:34 ·
Everett True
And the other one was also mentioned. (This list is only temporary, for today, you understand.) (And should be expanded to around 1,000 to be actually representative.)
21 January at 08:35 ·
Everett True
(I didn't own up to those because I didn't see the *direct* Cramps influence on them.)
21 January at 08:36 ·
Erika Meyer
Boo Frog. duh.
21 January at 12:54 ·
Paul Hood
one of my favorite memories was the Halloween show when Toiling Midgets opened for them at the Old Waldorf, fitting for the holiday, because they were scary good. Pre Kid C - were they that intense all the time?
21 January at 16:24 ·
James Scanlon
The Krankies versus The Cramps, innit??
21 January at 19:33 ·
Stephen Joseph Michael Walker
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion *and* Boss Hog. Any band involving Jon Spencer, basically. They're a somewhat obvious influence on St. Petersburgh-based 50s/Early 60s revivalists Messer Chups, too...used to love "Psychedelic Jungle", bit of a shame when they started, basically, making the same album again and again after about 1990 (although I *do* have a soft spot for later song "Elvis Fucking Christ"). A much bigger shame about Lux Interior's death, almost a year ago, now.
22 January at 00:43 ·
James Scanlon
Mr Walker speaks da' truth!
22 January at 03:04 ·

(from Facebook)
ReplyDeleteEverett True
Today's five fucking greatest rock'n'roll bands ever. Just for today. And for today alone.
The Cramps
Beat Happening
The Birthday Party
Babes In Toyland
...um... and I kind of don't want to admit to the last, so can we take it as a given?
Now I know I'm opening myself up to all sorts of great bands being mentioned here, and me going d'oh! But whatever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU1ANLb4QPY
21 January at 08:39
Deepak Mistry, Laura Price, Erika Meyer and 5 others like this.
Michelle Winter
Babes in toyland are amazing, I love them.
21 January at 08:41 ·
Claire 'Kwak' Welles
what, no animal collective?? ;)
21 January at 08:42 ·
Simon Ward
babes in toyland! :)
21 January at 08:50 ·
Carrie Montgomery
wait..whats the last one everett? spice girls?? hehe
21 January at 09:16 ·
Sarah Datblygu
nirvana
21 January at 09:46 ·
Daniel Chan
Oooh yeah, the Birthday Party. I've just transferred Junkyard and Mutiny/The Bad Seed onto the iPod.
21 January at 10:14 ·
Jack Sargeant
if we're talking rockandroll and not art rock or something I'd say its the Primals right?
21 January at 11:05 ·
Everett True
Sarah is correct
21 January at 13:06 ·
Rachel Beth Coburn
weird..I just watched the same video about two hours ago on last.fm.....
21 January at 14:11 ·
Ilana Xup
Definitely Nirvana
21 January at 18:12 ·
Simon Bridger
Used to like Babes in Toyland but it's just not doing it for me anymore, don't personally think the sound has dated well, on the other hand something like "Her jazz" still sounds really fresh to my ears.
I do personally base how good a record is on it's longevity, the Birthday party & The Cramps for instance still sound very relevant & completely original.
21 January at 18:45 ·
Ringo P Stacey
Agreed with Simon on the Babes. Spent the last fifteen years thinking of them as awesome without actually listening to them, when I got round catching up with them last year it was a horrible disappointment. Still better than Hole, though.
21 January at 19:23 ·
Ringo P Stacey
Oh, and for pure Rock'N'Roll early Half Japanese trumps Beat Happening any day.
21 January at 19:26 ·
Everett True
I'm talking live only here - and sadly I never saw Half-Jap in their prime
21 January at 22:33 ·
James Capeling
I know that the last one is All Saints, ET.
22 January at 03:49 ·
the stray cats.
ReplyDeletethe jesus & marychain
the rolling stones
the beach boys
...the jazzateers!
have you seen the video live at napa state mental hospital?
ReplyDeleteIndeed I have, and I was actually mentioned in dispatches from the re-enactment of the same video, live at the ICA a few years ago
ReplyDelete