Friday, February 19, 2010

Defending The Indefensible - 13: Courtney Love



I don’t like bands reforming usually – and I certainly don’t like bands reforming when they contain only ONE original member.

Courtney Love recently reformed Hole for a show in London – never mind the fact the other musicians playing are all nodding lapdog wannabe scenesters (i.e. session musicians) that probably weren’t even born the time Hole’s first single came out, never mind the fact she doesn’t even have the legal rights to the name. Her first solo album – the appalling wannabe Britney rock posturing of 2004’s America’s Sweetheart – tanked, and there’s no value in that brand anymore, none at all. It must be time to dust off the old brand, and milk the shit out of it.

And why shouldn’t she? Everyone does it these days – from the ultra-cynical Pixies reformation to the more intriguing reunion of devastatingly shy gothic Welsh trio Young Marble Giants, from the Pitchfork-beloved college boys own’ Pavement to Brisbane’s Laughing Clowns (still belligerent, still unpredictable). If there are people willing to pay to see musicians continue to exist in their own fantasy world, where everything is a pallid copy of imagined glories – a place where toilet breaks can take as long as hit singles – then why shouldn’t the musicians cash in? It’s not their fault that people are suckers.

Courtney Love reforming Hole is particularly cynical, though. This new Hole has little or no relation to the old Hole – indeed, Courtney herself has little in common with the spunk and spittle-flecked figure of the past. Then, she was unpredictable and wired, an enthralling prospect live on stage because you could never be certain what she’d be doing next – whether it’d be climbing up the side of a balcony to bash a fan, or turning the house lights fall on journalists masquerading as photographers down the front, or hurling glass ashtrays at guitarist (and co-Hole founder) Eric Erlandson. Now, this is one more tired string to add to her tired and useless bow, wherein everything in real life is a tired copy of a tired Hollywood movie, and “dirty blonde” isn’t something fought-for and squabbled over in the streets, but comes straight out of a publicist’s wardrobe.

I don’t understand. Why doesn’t she go the whole hog and call herself the Smashing Pumpkins? After all, Billy Corgan wrote quite a bit of Hole’s third album: and they’re way more popular than Hole ever were. She’d make way more money that way – and money is surely what she’s after. It’s all that anyone is after, these musicians given up on life and creativity.

“I am in England and going to see ‘Hole’ tonight,” writes one friend on Facebook. “Because I was too young first time round *sigh* it's very dubious but if she performs old material the 14 year old girl in me will be incredibly happy.”

What is this? The original Hole were an explosion of venom and energy and intellectualism and vigour all colliding together in one frenzied whole: what does this bare nostalgia feast and the grinning lapdog musicians add to the equation? Nothing.

“Does anyone care what the musicians in the band look like anyway,” writes another Facebook friend, cynically. Only if you gave a fuck about what the music sounded like in the first place.

“Why a shot at Hole, if she can still perform the songs well, then it’s still getting to hear classic good songs?” asks another punter.

That’s simple. It’s not Hole. And you won’t get to hear those “classic good songs” performed with anything amount the energy or motivation they deserve. These were songs that were made for the moment, and lived in the moment. I would not go back into the past and claim to be the person I was then. It’s absurd. And neither should any self-righteous, smug-as-fuck, uselessly impotent musician.

Hey. I've got nothing against folk going to see Courtney Love play live, and nothing against her wanting to play live either. I just think it's more than a little dishonest to call it something that it’s not.

P.S. Not that I have anything against session musicians whatsoever. Just a certain type of session musician...

P.P.S. I note that Wikipedia states that critical reaction to America's Sweetheart was "generally mixed to positive". Not round these parts it wasn't.

P.P.P.S. I got this really sweet email at my Facebook account from someone who attended the "Hole" reunion show, and thought that, in fairness, I really couldn't not print it.

Shelly Jenkin 19 February at 18:28

Dearest Everett,


It was...I am not sure I can look at this one objectively, try as I mighnt...in part, wonderful, in part gutting.


I know she's just using 'Hole' to get momentum going behind the event, and I am PAINFULLY aware the new material isn't Hole, could NEVER be Hole, and that I was going to see Courtney Love Solo... but I felt that being safe in that knowledge meant I could go, not expect too much and make the bit of me that needed and HAD to be at that gig happy.

So... I was completely overwhelmed and spent perhaps the first half of the set trying not to cry (I am embarrassed to admit!). It was bizzare hearing her perform old Hole, it felt like someone doing Hole karaoke, not because she didn't perform them well, but because she put no feeling into the songs. I spent the vast majority of my geeky teenhood watching Hole on VHS I managed to get at music festivals, or by trading someone via teletext or zines... so I had quite a good knowledge of what a Hole gig *could* be like.

What I was surprised by, and came completely unexpectedly, was how much I enjoyed the new songs.
I wouldn't ever want to listen to them on record, because quite frankly they make me cringe, but, live, she was singing them from her gut!


And, I suppose that's what made the gig from me, and thats what I wanted all along, to see Courtney putting her heart into something again.

My highlights were the fact that she was wearing so much glitter that when she shook her head, to get her mermaid-hair from her face, a little cloud of sparkle surrounded her... I was close enough to see that and it's something Im not sure the cameras could have possibly picked up, so it's a treasured memory of sorts now.


Also, when she was singing she broke posture (and there was A LOT of posturing, I'm sure you can imagine, the lady having so, so much to prove) to smile and wink at me, because I was fanning myself with a big antique hand fan.

Anywhoo's Everett, I do wish it had been Hole with Melissa and Eric (like you wouldn't believe), but it wasn't as bad or as good as it could have been... it just was.

Take care, and best of luck at your show!


Love Shelly xxx


P.P.P.P.S. The original article was originally written for the excellent Go Mag.

27 comments:

  1. I saw Hole in 93 when i was a spotty sacastic teen, and frankly, i wasn't overly impressed with them then, in their apparent hayday. Yes, they did seem to possess a great deal of energy, but then who doesn't when they're young and feel like they're making ground in their art or career.

    I'am not entirely clear why any band would want to reform,, or even why any band would say they had split in the first place. But, I can't think of single band reforming where they were as succesful in what they did as they had originally been. I fact, i can't think of any that weren't simply shite. Music requires a certain amount of energy and enthusiasm in order to live, and it needs that above and beyond it's musical features (notes, rhythms, orchestration etc.)That way, even poor material can live in the listeners imagination, and likewise, great material can be dead, giving you nothing. That energy isn't subject to time, or youth, or a given performer, or anything of the sort, but stems from a performers authenticity and struggle, their desire to make something real. Courtney Love fails only because she has no such authenticity, no geniune reason to make music that stems from the hand,and therefore her work has no rasa, no intangible goodness,or rightness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn,i wish i had redrafted that comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in a new band, performing great new songs with someone who keeps getting asked when the next "reunion" of one of his old (circa 1980s) bands is going to be. Sometimes if you want to grow and create, you have to do so in spite of your audience. You have to accept more obscurity, go back to taking that old dirt road instead of the highway you paved 20 years before.

    Courtney doesn't have to really build a band from scratch, because her name is already big. But I can understand, especially in light of her earlier solo attempts, why she might wish to go back and perform the work that people grew to love years ago. Maybe when fans and music journalists start paying half as much attention to older artists doing new material as they do to these reunion shows and tours, musical acts will feel more encouraged to take risks and continue to create new material, and form new bands, in their later years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But surely she has just built a band from scratch, called it Hole, and then rehashed her old material without any of the life it first had. Maybe if she could still deliver with whatever she once had (presuming should ever had anything at all) then it wouldn't really matter. What she certainly doesn't have to build from scratch is a fan base.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Maybe when fans and music journalists start paying half as much attention to older artists doing new material as they do to these reunion shows and tours, musical acts will feel more encouraged to take risks and continue to create new material, and form new bands, in their later years."

    This. Or just continue to give a stage for people like Perez who know a great deal about ROCK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I DONT like the fact that she is calling it Hole. i Dont think she has claimed to be as she was though. If that makes any sense.

    I saw Hole in 94/95 and was not looking forward to going.. Once there...my life was instantly changed. I know that if it was the same scenerio today... my life may not be instantly changed by what i see on stage and that is what is sad.

    However, since that time i have been intriqued and facinated by everything Courtney has said and done. I have always defended her. And view her as a genius. She is intellectually superior to most humans...however she needs to listen to her long time fans and not her yes people. We are the ones NOT happy about a "new" Hole...but still wanting Hole. ... See More

    If you have heard her song, Letter To God, which is new-er/unreleased that is pure raw emotion and more truth than anything on LTT. She still has it in her. It's just the stigma of this "Hole" thing. In truth, i dont think its about cashing in, more than its about calling it "Courtney Love". Now THAT will get negative press and start her out losing before she begins.

    I think she truly wants to be liked...just a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't see any controversy here. The girl has a name, and an immense ego, doh! Who ever said she had brains? Is she a product of some drugged out and oversexed populous that thrives on getting stoned and having sex? Did Courtney make a noise that would usually be considered an irritating drone from a deranged nieghbor down the lane? Did hole ever profess to have your momma wear combat boots? Womens Rights and menstruel grunge, yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. (from Facebook)

    Everett True I'm thinking of forming a rival HOLE. Get a bunch of nodding dog 20 yr old wannabe scenesters together and front 'em with someone who last released a good record over 15 years ago. And who hasn't got the rights to the name either. Oh wait...
    Wed at 19:10 · Comment · Like

    Donald Campbell, Shirley Montgomery, Deniz Martinez and 2 others like this.

    Simon Price
    Ouch.
    Wed at 19:11 ·

    Simon Price
    Of course, Courtney's only following the lead of her old mate Billy Corgan...
    Wed at 19:12 ·

    Everett True
    Except Billy, of course, failed to even release a single good record....
    Wed at 19:12 ·

    Toby Macfarlaine
    MeeeOwwww!
    Wed at 19:14 ·

    Scott Bressington
    and get a collection of the most talented songwriters of the time to write the best record they release, and after the tragic death of a brilliant songwriter they could just regurgitate his riffs
    Wed at 19:14 ·

    Jason Gerber
    Why a shot at Hole, if she can still perform the songs well, then its still getting to hear classic good songs.
    Wed at 19:28 ·

    Everett True
    Um. Because 1) it's not Hole. Simple. It's called false advertising in many parts of the world, but clearly not in England
    Wed at 19:33 ·

    Shelly Jenkin
    I am in England and going to see 'Hole' tonight. Because I was too young first time round *sigh* it's very dubious but if she performs old material the 14 year old girl in me will be incredibly happy.
    Wed at 19:36 ·

    Everett True
    Hey I've got n'owt against folk going to see Courtney play live, and n'owt against her wanting to play live either. I just think it's more than a little dishonest to call it HOLE. I hope you have yourself a good time Shelly.
    Wed at 19:39 ·

    Joanne Maylott
    Are they session musicians? Looks like it!
    Wed at 19:44 ·

    Angus Stevenson
    but does anyone care who the guys in the background are anyway?
    Wed at 19:45 ·

    Everett True
    not if you don't give a fuck about the music you don't Angus
    Wed at 19:46 ·

    Jason Gerber
    On second thought I do miss Eric Erlandson
    Wed at 19:48 ·

    Scott Bressington
    auf de maur/love sandwich!! well 15 years ago anyway
    Wed at 19:54 ·

    Hayley Avron
    she's only using the name Hole because if she used the name Courtney Love, it might bring back excruciating, long-buried memories of America's Sweetheart. I miss Eric, too - sound totally fucked without him
    Wed at 20:00 ·

    Angus Stevenson
    most people don't know all the guys in bands. me, I like to see the original drummer
    Wed at 20:11 ·

    Russell Birrer
    Eric ♥
    Patty ♥ ♥
    Wed at 20:29 ·

    Paul Lloyd
    Am a long time fan of The Chameleons.If a tour was announced by them & I turned up to see it was just Mark Burgess playing Chameleons' songs without the memorable twin guitars & space filling drummer I would be mightily pissed off as would,I imagine,the missing players.
    Wed at 20:52 ·

    Shelly Jenkin
    I am well aware I am pretty much going to see Courtney solo, but...I kind of have to, if that makes any sense to anyone?! Full report tomorrow afternoon.
    Wed at 21:53 ·

    Craig Montgomery
    Well, lots of people were in Hole. The only other constant was Eric.
    Yesterday at 15:21 ·

    ReplyDelete
  9. (from Facebook)

    Everett True
    Just watched a clip of that Hole tribute band playing live in London, 17/2/10. Weird. I understand that they couldn't be arsed to find the original musicians, but you think they might have been able to find someone who looked a little bit more like Courtney.

    Adrian Bull
    oh dear.
    Yesterday at 10:57 ·

    Michael Alan Goldberg
    haha
    Yesterday at 11:20 ·

    Alex Macleod
    trollop.
    Yesterday at 11:51 ·

    Donald Campbell
    an astute comment, almost went to the show out of morbid curiosity, decided against it
    Yesterday at 12:34 ·

    Craig Montgomery
    I take it you two are on the outs.
    Yesterday at 15:17 ·

    Everett True
    no, not particularly. I just think it's wrong the way Eric's been treated over this
    Yesterday at 15:22 ·

    Craig Montgomery
    I was just being silly, I don't know anything. Would Eric even want to do this?
    Yesterday at 15:25 ·

    Everett True
    Well, he wouldn't. But I'm fairly sure he part-owns the name (which is why Courtney never attempted something like this before). And I kinda doubt if he said yes to it. But there again (shrugs) who knows...
    Yesterday at 15:27 ·

    Andrea Pavanello
    i thought Eric played these shows.
    sadness... a lot of sadness.
    Yesterday at 18:52 ·

    ReplyDelete
  10. (from Facebook)

    Deniz Martinez, Debbie Schow and Michael Fantham like this.

    Didier Becu
    If people think it's allowed that Spandau Ballet are reforming then they certainly must give a go to Courtney too...she still matters....wouldn't surprise me if tomorrow I open some e-zine to see Musical Youth are on tour again.....
    Yesterday at 16:13 ·

    Lloyd Barrett
    Boo Hiss! I was hoping to read you defending the "reformation" as the title suggested.
    Yesterday at 18:44 ·

    Nick Smith
    But the reformed Spandau Ballet is just that - reformed, same people just a bit older. The reformed Hole is NOT Hole, it is Courtney Love and some new musicians who have never had anything to do with Hole. This is important because a band, and the music they make, is made from the ideas and talent that is brought to it from the people that are part of it. Can you imagine Nirvana without Krist? The Beatles without Lennon?

    Ok, sure some bands have changes in line-up as time goes by and we can argue about how that changes the sound and whether they should be considered the same band etc. But I think that is different to a situation where a band splits up and then one member decides to give what is basically a solo project the name of the previous band. Eric Erlandson's guitar playing was as integral to Hole's sound as a anything Courtney brings. None of the other, living, former members of Hole are invovled either.

    I have no problem with Courtney having a solo career, just a problem with the misleading marketing that it is a reformed Hole when it is no such thing.

    There, rant over.
    Yesterday at 18:45 ·

    Everett True
    Yeah, I really ought to do something about that title...!
    Yesterday at 18:45 ·

    Everett True
    I just got a really sweet message from someone who went down, and enjoyed themselves and now I feel like a Royal Rat. I'll ask her if I can add it to my blog (and your comment as well, Nick?)
    Yesterday at 18:48 ·

    Nick Smith
    sure add away.
    Yesterday at 18:48 ·

    Nick Smith
    Also, lets not fool ourselves that this type of reunion is unique to Courtney. Over the last 8-10 yrs I have seen a "reformed" Babes in Toyland which was bascially a Kat Bjelland and 2 others show, as well as 2 "reformed" Lemnoheads gigs. But then the Lemonheads had virtually become a Evan Dando solo outfit by the mid 90s anyway. Not to play down the contribution some of the people who played under that name at times, especially Juliana Hatfield and Nic Dalton. The latest incarnation of the Lemonheads is the most like a Evan Dando solo project, a revolving door of other musicians playing bass and drums for 1/2, or even less, of the live set.
    Yesterday at 19:03 ·

    Everett True
    Yes, but do any of the other Lemonheads or Babes hold the right to the name (as Eric does with Hole)? That's what makes it particularly underhand. (Most of the ex-Babes are on here as my friends - anyone?) (Um, as is Eric.)
    Yesterday at 19:05 ·

    Nick Smith
    I completely agree with you on this ET. But there is a part of me that feels uneasy about the kind of false adertising that goes with naming a solo career after a former band. Maybe I'm being naive but how many more people will go and see, or buy music made by, Evan Dandon/Kat Bjelland than if they chose to use the name of one of their former bands? I know that if Evan Dando plays near me I'll go whether he is playing under the name 'Lemonheads' or not. Same with Kat.
    Yesterday at 19:09 ·

    Simon Price
    Can I refer to this blog in my Hole review, ET? I actually thought the gig was really good, but I want to acknowledge the criticisms you make.
    Yesterday at 20:19 ·

    Everett True
    yeah, of course. do me a link if you wouldn't mind.
    Yesterday at 20:21 ·

    ReplyDelete
  11. (from Facebook, cont)

    Lloyd Barrett
    I keep think of the Dave Gilmour vs Roger Waters PinkFloyd thing - which is the real Floyd? Does it even matter? Faust did a similar split thing with allegedly zero acrimony - and both bands are kinda interesting - the DVD I have of both playing together and smoking out a club is about the most awesome thing.
    Sorry i'm off topic talking about hippies. :P
    Yesterday at 20:28 ·

    Everett True
    Pavement = the Jicks + Preston School. Far more interesting separated. Oh wait, they weren't calling themselves Pavement.
    Yesterday at 20:30 ·

    Sofie Olsson
    I think Eric Erlandson should start a new band called Hole aswell, just for the heck of it, he he he.
    Yesterday at 21:39 ·

    Thomas Hazelmyer
    Right on E. This trend has been gaining steam over the past decade and it's pretty horrible. I wish these same folks (from say The Who all the way to Hole) realized they're wasting precious attention spans of fans and press - that should have moved on to something new and exciting. But when given the option, fans & press will cling to the old comfortable yet tattered sweater as long as they're allowed to do so. Tarnishing more and more legends by the minute.
    20 hours ago ·

    ReplyDelete
  12. (from Facebook)

    Caren Faisst likes this.

    Caren Faisst
    I DONT like the fact that she is calling it Hole. i Dont think she has claimed to be as she was though. If that makes any sense.

    I saw Hole in 94/95 and was not looking forward to going.. Once there...my life was instantly changed. I know that if it was the same scenerio today... my life may not be instantly changed by what i see on stage and that is what is sad.

    However, since that time i have been intriqued and facinated by everything Courtney has said and done. I have always defended her. And view her as a genius. She is intellectually superior to most humans...however she needs to listen to her long time fans and not her yes people. We are the ones NOT happy about a "new" Hole...but still wanting Hole.

    If you have heard her song, Letter To God, which is new-er/unreleased that is pure raw emotion and more truth than anything on LTT. She still has it in her. It's just the stigma of this "Hole" thing. In truth, i dont think its about cashing in, more than its about calling it "Courtney Love". Now THAT will get negative press and start her out losing before she begins.

    I think she truly wants to be liked...just a little bit.
    15 hours ago ·

    Ali Bromwich
    Fuck it, why not ET.
    14 hours ago ·

    Ian Wilson
    Inglorious Hole.
    10 hours ago ·

    ReplyDelete
  13. "This. Or just continue to give a stage for people like Perez who know a great deal about ROCK."

    I see she's talking along those lines

    I was obviously JOKING *cringe*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its a new era, she has a new band, she's doing incredibly well thus far. Courtney Love is Hole, I never even knew anyone else in the band nor do I care. Smashing Pumpkins to me is just B. Corgan, etc etc. Perhaps her old bandmembers are upset theyre not a part of the new collection. Well, who knows why, but at least you had the opportunity to make the first round. I give Courtney much credit, she's pulled off the greatest comeback ever. Everyone should just have faith, be positive and move on

    ReplyDelete
  15. ugh. a million times ugh.

    nobody believes you that anything was ever "intellectual" about Hole back in the day when you give this ridiculous description of old Courtney as some spitting beast. all that added to the bitter, scenester-gossip-infused aspersion that Billy wrote Celebrity Skin (ive heard you feel the right to say this based on dish from Eric--give it a rest, it's not your place to say) just further denigrates a valid female artist.

    i, like everyone else with half a brain, have no interest in hearing her perform old Hole songs, or pretend it's Hole. but duh, she needs some momentum and we'd all like to see her voice recover from the Winehouse-Houston depths of despair, so grow the fuck up and smile at another fellow burnout. you're probably a shell of your old self as well, and clearly you've given yourself the right to write whatever you like- constructive or not.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fuck, I can't do that Facebook thing with the thumbs up here!...

    ReplyDelete
  17. *Everyone should just have faith, be positive and move on*

    Maybe some have higher expectations than you and due to knowing what she can do.

    Some aim higher... and why not ?

    ReplyDelete
  18. CHEERS! To this post above:

    Anonymous said...
    ugh. a million times ugh

    WELL STATED

    ReplyDelete
  19. If I was Courtney Love rather than use Hole, I'd use the name Nirvana, It would pull more people, and is almost as accurate as calling the band Hole.

    ReplyDelete
  20. But even if you don't like bands who reform, sometimes, you're so fucking happy that a band is reforming...







    like if bikini kill reform it would be okay

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it's a bit sexist, or at least Courtney-ist. Let's see. Yes, Eric was one of the original members and had a huge influence on the sound, but why shouldn't Courtney get to use her band's name as she did create the name as well as seek Eric out as a guitarist by placing an ad in the paper. If Eric wanted to be there he would be. Caroline Rue was the drummer on Pretty on the Inside, no one said "HEY, change the name of this band" after she left. No one said it after Kristen Pfaff died and Melissa came on, either.

    Look at Alice in Chains. Only disgruntled fans are saying that they shouldn't go on with that name without Layne, but the reviews are mostly good. Smashing Pumpkins, as you mentioned. Trent Reznor, who had a different band for almost each Nine Inch Nails tour. No one gave this condemnation of him.

    Why do we expect Courtney to be the same "spunk and spittle-flecked" performer she was back then? I think change is inevitable, and to be desired. Bob Dylan isn't the same as he was when he started out and he's doing okay for himself.

    And as for the "doing it for money" thing, well fuck. They ALL are. If you are known outside your own peer group then you are DOING IT FOR MONEY. If you weren't we wouldn't be talking about you.

    As a fan I really like the new songs and I think Courtney still has something worthy to sing. And even if it sounds like hell then it'll still be better than 95% of everything else out there right now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. " If you are known outside your own peer group then you are DOING IT FOR MONEY."

    What a weird thing to say.

    ReplyDelete
  23. (from Facebook)

    Didier Becu
    Despite the fact that you know what you're writing about, Everett, I never understood why Courtney's solo-album was considered bad.
    I know it's unhip to say....what do I care about being hip anyway...but I think her solo-efforts were unfair treated.
    21 February at 02:14 ·

    Jack Sargeant
    how about no original members?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TSOL
    21 February at 15:43 ·

    ReplyDelete
  24. (from Facebook)

    Simon Ward
    Hole were once OK and courtney,as you said, was once unpredictable. However, she has become a slave to corporate and fake society she once portested against and in my opionion loses her attraction and possibly some of her integrity. In the words of Jason Everman she has become a "Flower Sniffin', Kitty Pettin', Baby Kissin' Corporate Rock Whore" and possibly not so much of the rock anymore, with her music becoming inclined to be more pop than in the past.Still I totally agree with what you said Everett
    20 February at 21:48 ·

    Ali Bromwich
    Agree but...she has also got older, grown up and is chasing the green and fuck anyone who thinks she's sold out because she has! Which I kinda respect. Anyone who can't see that well fuck them too. I like saying Fuck!
    21 February at 06:45 ·

    ReplyDelete
  25. (from Facebook)

    Jeff Jeffypop Bryant
    You really hit the nail on the head with this one!
    22 February at 03:43 ·

    William Michael Knapp
    she always was a bit of an opportunist.
    22 February at 03:51 ·

    Englane Albiona Ranas Read
    I couldn't agree more, Everett. Although I was very flattered that Courtney took the time to visit my MySpace, AND comment and like my music, to see the REAL Hole, you need to time travel back +11 years. I'm grateful I saw them back in '99. I detest that she's calling this band 'Hole'. It's Courtney and The Newbloods to me...
    22 February at 09:48 ·

    Jacques Eduard Scorsese
    If I was Courtney Love rather than use Hole, I'd use the name Nirvana, It would pull more people, and is almost as accurate as calling the band Hole.
    22 February at 16:34 ·

    ReplyDelete
  26. Funny, when you think about the Stones, same members but their newer songs sucked. With "Hole," different members, but their new songs are good. Hole always was Courtney, just as Nirvana was always Kurt. So what if she makes money. We all get paid for something; why shouldn't she? No need to be a purist. The reality is the songs are good. I just kinda miss the old CL, before all surgery. She looks good now, but somehow, it doesn't seem like the same woman. Then again, she has evolved both musically and physically, as do we all...

    People are living in their own pasts and projecting that onto CL. Sure, she uses the Hole name, but that's not really what this is about. It's about people wanting to relive something, but we can't step back into the past. We move forth just as CL moves forth. Hopefully, we are as successful in our endeavors as is she...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anyone saying "Hole is Courtney" is full of shit. You lot of pathetic Courtney Love wannabes and skirt-clingers. Eric wasn't some dude who was in the band for a year and left like all the rest, he was the one who was in it the whole time. The one who helped write songs like "Garbadge Man" and yeah, even "Celebrity Skin" and spent 8 hours in one day writing "Violet" with Courtney.

    I think their first album was their best, but any of them have SOMETHING in them. And yeah, this new album is actually pretty decent, but the guitar style is all wrong for Hole, and the people are faceless as all hell and will probably be gone before the end of the tour.

    If you didn't pay attention to any of the other members, especially Eric, that's because you have a shallow appreciation of music. And Courtney's new shit is MADE for people like you. Enjoy "Skinny Little Bitch"

    ReplyDelete