Monday, April 19, 2010

Joan Jett anecdote



All this talk of a Runaways movie reminds me... Joan Jett sent me a thank-you letter once.

It was 1986. I was writing at the NME as The Legend! The previous week, I'd written a lead review on her new album, slightly tongue-in-cheek but still very much approving of her muse. Her PR called up the office to let me know how much Joan liked the review, and wanted to invite me to her London show to thank me in person. I ignored them, figuring it to be a typical PR scam.

The following week, I had a letter delivered to me. It was written in Joan's hand, full side of a sheet of paper, stating how much she loved the review, that I was pretty much the first music critic to ever get what she was trying to achieve with her music and that - well, if I was ever around and she was ever in town, that I should make sure to say hello to her.

I never did. Fucking idiot.

2 comments:

  1. oh man, you should have gone! Joan is, to me, a class act and a prime example of a fine person both on and off stage. you got her letter tho, that is pretty cool as well and I am sure you could go ahead and maybe say HELLO when she is in town all the same...

    ReplyDelete
  2. (from Facebook)

    Federica Pierino, Massimo Usai and 2 others like this.

    Didier Becu
    It's a rare thing I laugh with you but missing Joan Jett...yes, for that you were an idiot, and it was 1986 man!!!
    Who knows you're the first man on earth who misses a date with Joan Jett...hahaha :)
    4 hours ago ·

    Andrew Hitchcock
    Utterly utterly utterly speechless
    about an hour ago ·

    ReplyDelete