Thursday, June 11, 2009

Everett True vs Vivian Girls



I'm listening to a stream of the new Vivian Girls album Everything Goes Wrong on headphones.

Several immediate thoughts strike me.

1) It's so 'bright', so distorted, it makes Times New Viking sound like Placebo. Fuzz disintegrates into fuzz, drums topple into drums, harmonies are blissful because they're so everywhere. The one-note guitar solos ('Can't Get Over You') are kissable. It's hard to know where bad electronic transfers of music leave off and studio technique takes over. This is not twee, even remotely. This is punk rock, as traditionally defined. Indeed, this is the anti-twee. Trust me. You'd have to go deep within the black metal genre nowadays to find noise as extreme as this: the melodies will follow later, the same way they did with that debut Ramones album.

2) If ever a band were designed NOT to be listened to on headphones, it's Vivian Girls. Their entire existence calls out for distance. We're not talking subliminal messages here. We're talking music that DEMANDS to be blared out the car stereo, the Dansette record-player, the cheap borrowed CD-player with the volume switched to 30. It's rare these days that I miss standing sweating dancing moving cheering in front of cramped stages but I most certainly do with these ladies. I want to taste that sweat pouring off my eyelids! I want my ears to be ringing five days after. THIS IS MY MUSIC, you understand, THIS IS MY MUSIC!

3) It's rare a band's budget for recording is demonstrably reduced from first to second album. Even rarer that the second album benefits from such thriftiness. Even David Keegan might have been shocked at the rawness going down here. This observation (and it's probably wrong) is in no way meant to be an insult, just a delighted appraisal of the quality of the sound. While I'm here, 'The End' (an epic, on my terms) is the one that is fast snuggling up to that happy banner called 'single' because - well, because it understands The Fall's basic mantra of the three 'r's - repetition, repetition and repetition. And 'Out For The Sun' is out-and-out white noise, the like of which even Monte Cazazza could appreciate, I'm sure.

4) I cannot believe I once compared this band to Slumber Party. Oh wait, I wrote that before 'Before I Start To Cry' started up, right at the closing of the album, and tears started prickling at my eyelids...

5) There is still the outside possibility that this is precisely what 1985 sounded like - in my ears - and that Vivian Girls are merely incredible archivists. I somehow doubt this. I somehow really doubt this.

You may well also be interested in this link.

10 comments:

  1. Where did you find a stream of this? Perks of the job?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, seeing as how I'm currently not being paid to write, there have got to be some perks - right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I have a copy please ET? Please please please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could forward your request, but seeing as how I'm not sure I'm meant to be posting about the album yet... it might not be such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You lucky devil, ET!

    Funnily enough, I was just writing a review of their new single last night, going on about how I think they could benefit from a slightly bigger production on the album, so, hmm... even less 'fi' than the first one, eh? Ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for turning me onto this band. It's a really fun record and great for short car rides.

    ReplyDelete
  7. [...] Refusing to follow a hackneyed and frustratingly boring male-dominated path. Much like Vivian Girls or The Lovely Eggs nowadays, right? But now, like ‘indie’, the word has become [...]

    ReplyDelete
  8. [...] and gig promoter (forthcoming shows from The Bats, not Brisbane sadly, and – swoon – Vivian Girls), but they also seem to be damn fine cooks, if this recipe is anything to go by. [...]

    ReplyDelete
  9. [...] that their fans have never heard The Wedding Present, Heavenly, the bloody Smiths, The Field Mice, Vivian Girls, Brilliant Colors, Liechtenstein, etc etc [...]

    ReplyDelete
  10. (From Facebook)
    Hamish Robert Kilgour
    the kibs in the BK are way hip these days!-it's the matrix of a musical tsunami-the locus has shifted out of the locus on the LES-& the Vivian Girls are not alone-I seem to see some new interesting inspiring young artists on a weekly basis around NewYork-it's staggeringly good-maybe the most vital I have ever seen NYC!The East is the best get here and we'll do the rest...
    August 20 at 9:15pm · Delete

    ReplyDelete