
I'm running this to celebrate The Thin Kids nabbing the support slot on Kate Nash's forthcoming Splendour side-shows in Melbourne and Sydney.
Fair play to Mess And Noise for running a news story on this. At least they printed it, even if it was in tones of complete incredulity. Most would have ignored it. I'm just surprised that folk in Australia continue to be surprised that 1) I still know a few musicians, 2) a few musicians should like my music, and 3) a few musicians might want me to support them when they come across to Australia to tour. I have been around for quite some time, you know...
(And for the record, this is the fourth tour of Australia I've been offered as support. Family commitments have stopped me from taking up any of the previous offers.)
The Thin Kids - I Don't Like What You Like/You're Not From Queensland
P.S. Read the Mess And Noise story. Some of the comments are quite entertaining. And let me restate this for anyone who's not been paying attention: I vastly prefer Mess And Noise to the majority of what passes for 'music criticism' in this country.
P.P.S. Here's my most recent comment from that thread, in answer to the charge from Mess And Noise's editor Darren Levin that I didn't blog about bands from Brisbane, only about "NME this, or Franz Ferdinand that".
If you can be bothered, you can do an audit on http://www.everetttrue2.blogspot.com (as my primary blogging outlet).
I'd be shocked if the proportion of Brisbane-Melbourne or Brisbane-Sydney or Brisbane-anywhere bands I've featured isn't something in the region of at least 5-1... simply because this is where I live, and so I'm exposed to more music from Brisbane than anywhere else.
Shortly after I moved to Brisbane, and that whole ridiculous storm over nothing erupted over the fact I mentioned that I didn't think the Australian street press was all that it should be, someone similarly attempted to call me out for a lack of support for Australian bands. This charge was excellently answered by a fellow Brisbane blogger at http://www.notaphoto.com/everett-true-vs-the-australian-music-press
Whatever.

Thoughts:
ReplyDeleteMess+ Noise is great.
I The thin kids are entertaining.
I like entertaining music.
And seriously, I don't even read street press because it bores the shit out of me and if I had any musical talents I would write songs about everything that is wrong with every scene in Brisbane because THEY ALL HAVE PROBLEMS. Including, but not limited to the fact that everybody dresses the same.
The thread definitely made me laugh.
ReplyDelete(from Facebook)
ReplyDeleteCandy Ballard and Travis McElroy like this.
Everett True
includes "controversy" over Mess And Noise's perceived regional bias
Tuesday at 15:02 · Like ·
Jodi Biddle
Fuck em. Congratulations and have fun!
Tuesday at 17:21 · Like ·
(from Facebook)
ReplyDeleteEverett True
WE'VE GOT THE KATE NASH SUPPORT!!! Fucking hell, someone congratulate us.
Tuesday at 23:13 · Comment · Like
Chris King, Erika Meyer, Justin Edwards and 5 others like this.
Jodi Biddle
What, are my congrats not good enough for you now?! How long until I can officially start saying I liked you before you sold out?
Tuesday at 23:33 · Like ·
Charlie Inskip
hope she remembers to be nice to you on her way up. she may meet you on her way down again.
Tuesday at 23:42 · Like ·
Steph Fielding
That's fantastic. Congratulations!
Tuesday at 23:48 · Like ·
Candy Ballard
Nashers is LUCKY to have you! x
Wednesday at 00:15 · Like ·
Been YesBeen
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wednesday at 00:40 · Like ·
Deniz Martinez
sweet! :D
Wednesday at 02:21 · Like ·
Clem Conti
Wow
Wednesday at 04:20 · Like ·
Everett True
cheers all! (stomps away, looking marginally less grumpy)
Wednesday at 07:38 · Like · 1 person
·
Rachel Beth Coburn
Congrats to you!!!! Was this post and all it's joy written before the big "controversy" erupted?
Wednesday at 16:55 · Like ·
Xijun Liew
please keep attacking our shitty everything
Wednesday at 17:06 · Like ·
(from Facebook)
ReplyDeleteRachel Beth Coburn
ET, for those of us outside of Australia, can you explain why it's a big deal is what city you play? I truly don't get it. I've never heard London pissed that a band played Liverpool instead, so why this? Is this common? Please enlighten...
Wednesday at 17:14 · Like ·
Paul Lloyd
You're just trying to start a fight, aren't you? :)
Wednesday at 17:16 · Like ·
Rachel Beth Coburn
me? no! oh good a smiley face - I was about to erase my question for fear it seemed snotty - actually the original post, I realized, could easily read as condescending in some way so I edited it to be more PC. I just want to understand is all - you guys have SO much music down there, good music admired elsewhere, homegrown awesome stuff, I thought there was more than enough to go around?? :-)
Wednesday at 17:19 · Like ·
Paul Lloyd
Hi Rachel. Sorry, I was directing my comment at Everett. THere's nothing like a conflict situation to create some 'column inches'.
Wednesday at 17:20 · Like ·
Rachel Beth Coburn
oh - and i was just looking at your page and wondering if you're in AU and UK - then I saw you went to see The National last week? How was the concert?
Wednesday at 17:23 · Like ·
Rachel Beth Coburn
I meant wondering if you're in AU OR the UK....
Wednesday at 17:24 · Like ·
Paul Lloyd
@Rachel. The National were okish. I prefer the old stuff by the Walkabouts when it comes that type of music. They were a bit static, apart from singer who wandered into crowd on occasion
Wednesday at 17:47 · Like ·
Everett True
Rachel, folk from Melbourne - an admirable city full of admirable folk, for the most part - sometimes don't understand why bands from other cities would be favoured over their own. It's no big deal, really. Happens all the time, everywhere in the world.
Wednesday at 18:30 · Like ·
David McNamee
It's like Bang all over again...
Wednesday at 21:37 · Like ·
Vivienne Elisabeth Button
Big rivalry in Oz between Sydney and Melbourne. Sort of like Manchester and Liverpool, except sunny and nice.
Yesterday at 02:16 · Like ·
you guys rock the hizzouse
ReplyDelete