Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Defending the indefensible – 4: Sigur Rós



It's not meaningful. It's not cathartic. It's not emotive.

It's not quietly or movingly or even evocatively beautiful. It certainly isn't minimal (Sigur Rós utilise some of the most overblown production and instrumentation techniques in modern-day rock). It isn't ethereal. It doesn't transcend. It's music designed for film producers and Tom Cruise apologists - new age, by any definition, cod-classical and dull as particularly dull dishwater that's had all the Fairy Liquid soap bubbles sucked out of it by three layers of grease.

It's Jonny Greenwood or Damon Albarn fucking around with non-melodies and not-even formulated ideas and pretending that a lack of structure makes music more interesting. Slowing stuff down doesn't make music more 'serious' or more 'soulful', it just makes it slower. It's music designed for media people to take designer drugs to (i.e. music that doesn't stand up on its own merits), music that can be used in film trailers and on TV programmes the world over to signify 'sensitivity' or 'the slow fade' because it doesn't intrude or upset for one second. It's even vacuous enough to be used for sports coverage: the same heady 'euphoric' great sweeps of emotion and pomp signifying absolutely nothing.

In another age, Sigur Rós would have been called 'elevator music', but that's an insult to those fine citizens of Muzak.

It's like Radiohead minus Yorke's stubbly chin, with all the pretension and pseudo-prog rock leanings left in. It's music that can't exist without visuals, because it doesn't hold up. It's music that soars and peaks and soars and peaks without any understanding of why it would want to do that. It's music that makes me want to listen to Girls Aloud or Pussycat Dolls just to purge myself (and trust me, little makes me want to do that). It's music for people who used to stick 'Campaign for Real Rock' stickers on their guitar cases.

It is Sigur Rós.

P.S. (lifted from the Sigur Rós forum, and pretty well argued at that)















maaaaquote
3-7-2009 at 08:49



I've spent some time with Everett True in the past, including one day at his playing records in the indie 1980s. When he told me that he preferred The Razorcuts to The Byrds because he hated the canon of rock, I knew we could never really get along. For him, music is about ownership and building an identity (as it is for all of us, but most if us don't build such a public persona) - and so liking The Razorcuts, people he actually knew and could champion, helped make him central to the scene.

The limits to ET's approach are summed up by his relationship to Nirvana, getting close to Kurt and the group in indie days, and retaining access during the period of mega success. This must have been a dream come true. But in terms of music, Smells Like teen Spirit, while a great record, has nothing to do with indie, with Beat Happening, K Records anymore. It's a straight great rock record, like More Than A feeling by Boston.

Can you imagine ET admitting that More Than A Feeling was a great rock record? I'm sure he'd rather die.

Which brings us to SR. Nothing he says here can take away the thought of the group playing ("new shit") Von to a hut full of family and friends in Heima. To me that is juat an inarguably honest, pure and musical performance. If it all ended tomorrow for SR, these people would all be making beautiful music somewhere or other, even if just for themselves. They're not a rock critic backed or created band particularly. They're a bunch of hillbillies who gave us a miracle and kept giving more. You get more sense out of 14 year olds posting comments on YouTube about Untitled 8 than Everett gives us here.

He is good on 60s pop and girl groups though, and personally I owe him a debt for showing me how great the Supremes are.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, Dear Everett, your words used to mean something; now they sound like the echo of emptiness. Self-parody from the McGee school of writing (un-writing).

    FYI - Your "fine citizen" friends at Muzak entered bankruptcy back in February.

    "It’s not meaningful. It’s not cathartic. It’s not emotive" ... It is Everett True.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, the fact that it's none of these things is why I love it. I love that it's overblown and ridiculous, for the same reasons I love Muse. I love that it's as cringey as a Miranda July short story about butterflies jizzing over grannies. The wishy-washiness, the utter naivety of it all is what gives it such wonder. Like Justice and HEALTH and The Hold Steady, they make modern day alt-stadium rock.

    Yeah their gigs now feel like class//art//wanker tourism. Yes, the whole concept of Hopelandic is as bananas as Peter Gabriel and I don't disagree that they verge of background muzak but, and this is a big wobbly but, I don't see nothing wrong with their Eno-ish background beige-ness because often it's 'nice' (Lydon's least favourite word) for things to just drift away in the background, occasionally brushing your ear like a cat that's just come in from the rain.

    Maybe it's because it's gateway music, designed to captivate as many people wot-don't-usually-like-that-kinda-thang as possible, that makes them so appealing, especially to cretinous fools like me trying to find an audience for the OTHER music I love. They're a magazine editors creamiest of dreams because people, people who don't usually get drawn left of centre actually (have the potential to) like them. It's almost worth celebrating them, like Busted or Silverchair or The Spice Girls as less hateful-than-the-average fly traps.

    Me, I like them but not as much as I did 8 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A full album of SR = Zzzzzzzzz (full stop)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah, the only thing that makes me feel more anodyne unclean middlebrow bleurgh than listening to the last few albums worth of SR is reading Sean DiS attempting to defend them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i honestly don't understand this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] Defending The Indefensible – 4: Sigur Rós Everett_True 68 replies 04:02 July 1st, 2009 [...]

    ReplyDelete
  7. [...] Sigur Rós are not meaningful, cathartic or emotive Not my words, but Everett True’s http://everetttrue.wordpress.com/2009/07/01/defending-the-indefensible-%E2%80%93-4-sigur-ros/#more-9... How dare he?!? Such sacrilege!! Going to have to go and listen to () to calm down, might even need [...]

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like sigur ros, I don't rate them really highly, as with anything that has been copied for me, but I haven't eventually bought.

    I listen to them I think of all the film plots in my head and how the music would fit. Probably because despite being a professional musician, my love of film slightly outweighs my love of music (gasp!).

    I hate the post-modern view, that there is no truth and all beauty is in the eye of the beholder, because I work 5 nights a week in a music venue, and I have come to believe that some bands are just SHIT.

    That said I think (perhaps inadvertently) TRUE has given a fair critique, they aren't rock and roll, and certainly I'd imagine most of their fans are wankers with a BA in FILM STUDIES (i.e. me).

    But how good are "Grizzly Bear"?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't like 'em; don't spend your time dragging them down.

    I love 'em; spend most of my time making their amazing music blow out of my speakers.

    Fact is, there are no facts in music. IMO Sigur Rós doesn't need to be defended. Their music speaks for itself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i couldn't agree more. literally the most tedious band i have ever seen live. gusty. windy. squally. gales blowing...

    we don't write lyrics, we have a non-language that is pure emoting...?

    nah.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The problem I think can be summed up in one word "boring!"

    SR's music is just boring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like Sigur Ros, but to me their music will always be music to fall asleep on the bus to. I guess that's my way of saying they're boring, But in a nice way.

    ReplyDelete